C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, January 29, 2022

Commuting, 1964

These New York commuters going to and from work on July 17, 1964, remind me very much of the grown-ups in the world that I grew up in, down in a small Southern city (not a small town - there is a difference):  a world that was not quite ideal and certainly not perfect - but, as these mundane scenes suggest, an intelligible world that was still for the most part orderly and coherent, where grown-ups went off to work well dressed and well behaved, and just got on with the business of living.  Most of them, most of the time, anyway.  The contrast between then and now provides much room for reflection.  

Just mute the annoying soundtrack and enjoy a few minutes of time travel.  I wonder how many things you can spot that aren't around much anymore, like newspapers.

 

-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

Much as I remember it - traveling every day to school. I loved it. But what a different world we live in.

Russ Manley said...

Yes a very different world, changed out of all recognition, you might say.

But I think taking the train and the ferry would be fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails