C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, October 8, 2020

What I'm Watching: Building a Log Cabin

Townsends YouTube channel is a cornucopia of fascinating videos all about life in 18th-century colonial America, including lots of recipes about cooking over a campfire, on a hearth, or in a homemade oven.

But lately I've been engrossed in watching the building of an honest-to-God log cabin from the ground up, using only 18th-century tools and a lot of elbow grease.  Of course I've known all my life the general idea of how such things were put together - but it's different watching it go up log by log.  

Even if you're not into living off the grid - and your Head Trucker is certainly not about to try such a damnfool thing - you might learn something from these vids.  I've selected four out of the playlist of 20 to share with my truckbuddies here. So get a move on, boys, and get your cabin ready for winter!





Your Head Trucker loves the sound of David Cadle's voice in this last video - that's the authentic sound of the past.  Awesome beard, too.  And pretty blue eyes.  


Bonus:  At the end of the day, how are you gonna feed all those hungry, hairy, sweaty men?  No problem.  While they're working on the cabin, you could be building an oven out of mud and straw.  When the sun goes down, they'll love your hot buns.

 


----
Related Posts with Thumbnails