C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, June 5, 2020

Notes from the Revolution, 6/5/20

. . . a revolution of hearts and minds . . .

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo: "Who are we?  Where are we?  How did we get to this place?
Cuomo lays out a plan for police reform, and the necessity of avoiding false dilemmas.



This is the clearest, most intelligent response to the current crisis I've heard yet. Damn, why is Cuomo not President?

I should also tell you that when I first saw the video of 75-year-old Martin Gugino being violently knocked down by bully-boy police, I thought, "That could be me." I'm not all that much younger than he, and subject to stumble and fall on my own without any help from others. Though I must also say that your Head Trucker would not have the temerity to step in front of a marching phalanx of armed men as he did.


Unconscionable: California: Vallejo police kill unarmed 22-year-old, who was on his knees with his hands up



This, of course, is just one of many stories of egregious,sickening police savagery occurring, with most grievous irony, during this week of nationwide protests against police brutality. Unfortunately, I can't find videos of all of them in a format I can post here. But likely you have seen some on TV or the internet already. Police reform must be the first step of reformation and healing in this country. I can tell you, even from my very mild, infrequent brushes as an old white man with traffic cops in the last two decades, police in Texas have gotten very heavy handed and mighty damn arrogant. Who taught them to behave like that? I shudder to think what they have been like with blacks and other minorities, here and across the nation. No more!


Interesting:  Suddenly, Public Health Officials Say Social Justice Matters More Than Social Distance  Excerpt:
The experts maintain that their messages are consistent—that they were always flexible on Americans going outside, that they want protesters to take precautions and that they're prioritizing public health by demanding an urgent fix to systemic racism.

But their messages are also confounding to many who spent the spring strictly isolated on the advice of health officials, only to hear that the need might not be so absolute after all. It’s particularly nettlesome to conservative skeptics of the all-or-nothing approach to lockdown, who point out that many of those same public health experts—a group that tends to skew liberal—widely criticized activists who held largely outdoor protests against lockdowns in April and May, accusing demonstrators of posing a public health danger. Conservatives, who felt their own concerns about long-term economic damage or even mental health costs of lockdown were brushed aside just days or weeks ago, are increasingly asking whether these public health experts are letting their politics sway their health care recommendations.

Also:  In reversal of position, WHO tells public to wear masks if unable to distance
The WHO’s emergencies director Michael Ryan stressed that putting on a fabric mask is primarily about preventing the wearer from possibly infecting others, rather than self-protection.


Lester Holt of NBC News summarizes the day's events:





2 comments:

Frank said...

Excellent coverage of events and people in the news. I have been on cell phone only for past 5 days so commenting required too many steps and memory (username, password, typing on little keyboard or trying to use voice recognition) for this old guy. Anyhow, this is all relevant and immensely important. Thank you.

I am no longer willing to go out and march. However when I pulled a T-shirt out of the drawer to wear a few days ago...it happened to be from "THE 1993 MARCH ON WASHINGTON FOR LESBIAN, GAY AND BI EQUAL RIGHTS AND LIBERATION" (Trans was not yet officially included in the movement). 1993 - 27 years ago (I keep clothing for years) I was marching and protesting in the streets of DC. Yes, much has changed for the better...but we're not there yet...and I include all oppressed peoples in that observation.

Russ Manley said...

You're welcome, Frank, and thank you for the encouragement, which makes it worthwhile for me - to think that my tiny taps on a keyboard, sitting here in cool comfort under the a/c while others are marching, is useful to someone else: my small contribution to the cause of justice and human rights.

I may still have, in some box or bag, a t-shirt from the 1992 display of The Quilt on the Mall in D.C. - a breathtaking, heartbreaking sight. I'm proud to say I also participated then in my first - and only - protest march, a candlelight march of thousands around the White House. I was never part of the counterculture, but the experience gave me a valuable insight into other demonstrations.

Thanks again for the comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails