C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, November 2, 2019

Sunday Drive: Peace Prayer

I am posting Sunday Drive a day early this week, in hopes of encouraging all my truckbuddies and visitors to take a little time out from the usual weekend routine to reflect on just what we are called to be and do in this bewildering life.

Today is All Souls' Day, known in the Episcopal Church as the Commemoration of All Faithful Departed, a twin feast of All Saints' Day. As Forward Movement puts it, "This is a good time to remember the unspectacular children of God: those whose Christian witness may have been weak or faltering, but who are still very dear and important to God and to us."

It is a good time to remember and give thanks for all those "little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love," done by those we love but see no longer, that have fostered, comforted, encouraged, and sustained us throughout our lives.

It is also a good time to recall, as someone has said, that "Though we cannot all do great things, we can all do small things with great love."  And that makes all the difference, doesn't it?

By sheer coincidence, this weekend marks ten years of M.P.'s residence in this little bungalow, and twelve years of our friendship, which has given us both abundant occasions to practice those not-so-small things - along with forgiveness and patient forbearance, as need may be - and for which we are very thankful.

Your weak and faltering Head Trucker has long been fond of the Prayer for Peace, so appropriate for the present age, which beautifully summarizes the actions of love and grace, and recalls to my forgetful mind my duties in this life.  Here it is movingly sung by John Michael Talbot:




4 comments:

JMac said...

Thanks for that with my troubled mind it helped me calm down have saved it

Russ Manley said...

Glad it helped you, buddy. Talbot does have a wonderful, soothing voice.

Davis said...

Blessings on you Russ. We had a stirring All Saints and All souls both very moving. As a wag once said to me All Saints is for St Mary and All Souls is for Aunt Mary.

Russ Manley said...

Haha, that's a good one, love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails