C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The Pork Boys Do the Autumnal Equinox

Rainbow plates, rainbow napkins, rainbow-striped candle holders, and a new rainbowesque table runner that I gave M.P. for his recent birthday.  
Now, can you guess what our default dinner theme is?

Actually, it was just a regular, though extra-scrumptious, Sunday dinner for us - we didn't realize it was the autumnal equinox until we were on the dessert course.

As is our weekly custom, I cooked a little dinner on Saturday night, and M.P. cooked a big dinner on Sunday, far more than the two of us could eat - however, he takes leftovers from the weekend for his work lunch the other five days, and I nibble on them too, so it mostly all gets eaten, eventually.

As is also our custom, we sat down to dinner about midnight, and rose from the table about three hours later.  M.P. always does a bang-up job of cookery, but this week he turned out a memorably toothsome feast, so good that I wanted to share it with my truckbuddies.  In the picture below of my plate, starting at the 6 o'clock position, you will see:
  • Aloha Pork - boneless pork ribs and pineapple slices slow-cooked with Ro-tel and other seasonings in a homemade pineapple barbecue sauce.  Boy howdy, talk about good!
  • Fried Red Tomatoes - the grocer had no green ones on hand, alas, but we happily discovered that red ones, blanched, peeled, and battered, are a scrumptious substitute.  Do try this at home, with some ranch dip on the side.  Luscious.
  • Creamed Spinach - the classic recipe, amplified with Swiss cheese and bechamel sauce.  If only our mothers had known how to make spinach taste this good when we were kids, we would have gobbled it up.
  • Candied Yams - out of a can, always delightful with any kind of pork; M.P. added butter and a pinch of this 'n' that for extra yammy goodness.
  • Cheese Grits - sadly unknown in my childhood, this creamy-cheesy delight has become a staple of modern Southern cuisine, and rightly so.
  • 7-Up Biscuits - M.P. happened to come across this unusual recipe and decided to give it a try.  We were glad he did.  They refused to brown, but OMG what a light, delicious treat - we also dubbed them "bis-cakes," for their snow-white, foamy texture and yumminess.  Also perfect for making sausage biscuits at breakfast time - they don't crumble when you bite into them.
  • Dutch Apple Pie - M.P. has a humdinger of a recipe for this classic treat, with a real wow of sweet, spicy apple flavor.  Topped with streusel, not strudel, as M. le Chef was quick to inform me - yes, there is a difference.  Luxurious when served warm with vanilla ice cream topped with caramel sauce.
Of course, we had our usual White Zin to wash it all down.  We drink the wine strictly for its medicinal property, of course - aids the digestion.  Well, it's a scientific fact, as everyone knows.  You can look it up.

And that's all there is to this little story of gustatory delight.  It more than compensates for the lack of other pastimes and pleasures in this old man's life.  I tell you what.  I hope all my truckbuddies have some such compensation, of whatever kind, as need may be.



P. S., 9/27/19 -- I am so embarrassed. It was of course the autumnal, not the vernal equinox. I have made the necessary corrections here, and will now go strap an unabridged dictionary to my head as penance.


6 comments:

Frank said...

All looks so good....but dinner at Midnight? Oh my.

Davis said...

You guys eat right - I'm impressed. Yes fried red tomatoes are wonderful, though we serve them with a creamy gravy up north in Yankee land.

JMac said...

Living Down Under ie:Australia some of these are unfamiliar to me but they still sound good.
I always luv your meal posts you guys always put on a great spread so elegant & colourful.
All the best to you guys from Down Under

Russ Manley said...

Frank - sometimes we don't eat until 4 or even 6 a.m., if the cookery takes longer than expected, though that is unusual these days. Midnight is very reasonable for us night owls.

Davis - creamy gravy sounds good, how do you make it for the tomatoes, I wonder? Though you really should try some ranch dip with them.

JMac - thanks for your good wishes, and the same to you!

Davis said...

This is close to what we make: https://www.lanascooking.com/fried-tomatoes-with-cream-gravy/ Delectable.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks, sounds good. We will try that next time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails