C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, April 5, 2018

To Hear the Past

One of the movies playing at a theater passed by the camera.

Back when talkies were the Big New Thing, Fox Movietone News put a camera and microphone on a truck and drove through the Times Square district on a day of melting snow:  a fascinating glimpse of life just as it was then.




British Movietone News did something similar in London around the same time: this selection begins with the procession of King George V and Queen Mary to the State Opening of Parliament in the Gold State Coach.  Also featured are the wedding of the Duke of Westminster, and Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald and his Cabinet.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails