C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, August 15, 2015

70 Years On: VJ Day in Color

Alfred Eisenstat's famous photo of the "Kissing Sailor" in Times Square on VJ Day, as originally published in black and white in Life, and as colorized by Swedish artist Sanna Dullaway in 2012.  Click to enlarge.

World War II ended 70 years ago yesterday.  Here are some scenes of jubilant crowds in America and England celebrating the victory in the warm August sunshine - and getting a little rowdy too.





Life magazine published some fascinating pictures taken that week around the United States, showing what life was like for ordinary folks, as well as some interesting commentary on what the end of the war meant for the world and its future. Worth a look here.



2 comments:

Muskox said...

I just wondered if you were aware of this more recent version of that iconic picture:

http://www.condenaststore.com/-sp/The-New-Yorker-Cover-June-17-1996-Prints_i8563073_.htm

Russ Manley said...

Thanks for the link, I love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails