C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, February 19, 2015

First Gay Wedding in Texas!

I can hardly believe it.  The Austin American-Statesman reports:
Two Austin women were legally married Thursday morning after a Travis County judge ordered the county clerk to issue a marriage license.

Minutes later, Texas had its first legally married gay couple when Sarah Goodfriend and Suzanne Bryant, together almost 31 years, said their vows before Rabbi Kerry Baker while standing in front of the Travis County Clerk’s Office sign on Airport Boulevard.

Attorney General Ken Paxton said his office will seek to void the marriage license “issued due to the erroneous judicial order” and promised a lawsuit seeking to halt the Travis County clerk from issuing any more marriage licenses to same-sex couples.






The judge's order applied only to this couple, and no others. Late this afternoon, the Texas Supreme Court for good measure issued a stay of the Travis County order, although news sources indicate that Bryant and Goodfriend's marriage appears to remain valid.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I wonder if the Texas Supreme Court has forgotten the old saying - "Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted." Let's hope this is the first of many.

Unknown said...

Good on them! They have proved their love by such a long relationship. Now it is sealed! Hugs, Patrick

Related Posts with Thumbnails