C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, December 4, 2014

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: Jezebel


Steve Hayes reviews this classic tale of love and loss in old New Orleans - and your Head Trucker highly recommends it, too:
Steve celebrates Thanksgiving with JEZEBEL! Bette Davis sets fire to the screen and goes on to Oscar glory for the second time in William Wyler’s classic tale of the old South (1938). Directed with consummate skill by William Wyler, it was the first of the three films they made together. With able support from Henry Fonda, George Brent, and Fay Bainter in an Oscar-winning role as Bette’s sympathetic aunt, it’s as close to Scarlett O’Hara as Davis would get, and she gives it all she’s got.



Catch more fabulous movie reviews at Steve's YouTube channel.

4 comments:

Davis said...

A superb film sadly overshadowed by GWTW.

Russ Manley said...

Superb, yes - who can ever forget that red dress Bette wore to the ball? Vivid red to the mind, even though the film was black & white!

Davis said...

Vivid Red is right. The power of film making and the imagination.

Russ Manley said...

Not to mention a breathtaking performance by Miss Davis at the top of her game.

Related Posts with Thumbnails