C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, September 6, 2026

Sunday Drive: Ravel, Boléro

This well-known piece was written in 1928 by French composer Maurice Ravel.  M.P. - who had some vocal training in his youth and loves operatic tunes - sent it to me the other day, and though I had heard the melody many times, I guess I'd never heard the entire work played all the way through.  I was astonished to realize it is just the same intro repeated over and over again, never leading to anything else.  WTF??

Frankly, I thought it was absurd.  Come to find out - Ravel himself agrees with me!  He planned it that way.  Oh well, you know how those highbrow composers are . . . .

Here it is, from the BBC Proms in 2014, under the baton of Daniel Barenboim:


FYI:  Boléro would seem to have been an inspiration for the popular tune "Andalucía," aka "The Breeze and I," written by Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona, which was a big hit for Jimmy Dorsey and his orchestra in 1940, featuring a vocal by Bob Eberly:

-----

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails