C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, July 4, 2021

Independence Day, 2021: My Country, 'Tis of Thee

American Flag Waving on a Flag Pole 

Below is a reminiscence of the famous concert by Marian Anderson on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1939:  a thrilling moment in our history that united Americans of all kinds instead of driving them apart.  That is what the American dream is, really:  E pluribus unum.

Diversity is a very popular word these days.  But I say, diversity without unity will destroy us.  And sooner rather than later.  

 

A prayer for this 4th of July:

O God, please bless our country,
for all we like sheep have gone astray,
and turned each to his own way. 
For Thy mercy's sake, 
heal us, mend us, reform us, and restore us;
unite us again as one people in justice and truth
to do Thy will on earth; and grant us Thy peace,
for we surely do need it. 


-----

3 comments:

Frank said...

Have a nice Holiday...maybe Barry McGuire is more thematic than Marian Anderson:
...."Handful of Senators don't pass legislation
And marches alone can't bring integration
When human respect is disintegratin'
This whole crazy world is just too frustratin'
And you tell me over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction
Think of all the hate there is in Red China
Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama
Ah, you may leave here for four days in space
But when you return, it's the same old place
The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead but don't leave a trace
Hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace
And you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend
You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction
You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Davis said...

Happy Fourth to you guys.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks guys, hope your holiday is good too.

And Frank, isn't it funny how relevant McGuire's song still is? Just replace Selma with Milwaukee, Kenosha, Philadelphia . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails