C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Pork Boys Do Easter, 2020


Despite unseasonably dreary weather and assorted aches and pains, M.P. as usual worked like a Trojan for three days last week to turn out a beautiful Easter feast for us.  Here, let me show you.


A few weeks ago, M.P. providently picked up the only lamb to be found at the grocery store, a pair of shanks.  These are a bit tricky to make tender, so he first marinated them for two days in red wine, rosemary, thyme, and garlic.  Then on Sunday morning he seared them in a skillet before putting them into the oven to cook low and slow for about four hours.  Here they are ready to go in the hole.


After a cloudy start, Easter Day was bright and sunny and warm - but above is the forecast, which proved quite correct:  a forty-degree drop after nightfall.  The lamb roasting comfortably in the oven, we went out for an hour's drive through the green, leafy countryside, admiring suitably picturesque Texas vistas dotted with assorted cows, horses, and feathery mesquite trees.  I had a good time, it being a rare daytime excursion for your Head Trucker, who is usually confined to the scullery here at home.  Well, somebody has to wash all these dishes and scrub all these pots and pans, you know.  That's how I earn my keep.

After sundown, the electric fireplace was just the thing to keep the chill at bay, and a mantel full of candles cast a charming glow about the room - though not quite as brightly as it appears in this photograph.


Now let's see, is the table all set and ready?  Candles, wine, butter, mint jelly, flowers and herbs, all where they should be?  Yes, I think so.  And notice the paper napkins M.P. worked on for hours to fold and roll in the  shape of Easter lilies - so pretty.  Well, all's ready in here, so we can start with the appetizers.


We begin, of course, with the Pork Boys' favorite appetizer, deviled eggs, accompanied by green and black olives, baby dill pickles, chicken-and-cream-cheese roll-ups, and cheddar, cranberry, and jalapeno cheese slices.  Yum.


Did we put the soup spoons on the table?  Just a moment, let me check.  Oh yes, they're there.  Fine.  Bring the soup bowls and let's begin.


The first course was lavender-lemon consomme, made from homemade chicken stock, perfectly clear and rather fragrant.  It was accompanied by homemade croutons and delightful little whitefish patties (minced tilapia) topped with grated white cheddar and Asiago cheeses.  Luscious.


Is the lamb ready?  Oh yes, certainly, and just as tender as you please.  And oh, that aroma!  Do cut me off that nice juicy part right there.  Thanks.


Are we all set now?  Fine, let's dig in.


From the six o'clock position:  roast lamb, garlic mashed potatoes (15 cloves!) with pan gravy from the lamb drippings; fried crook-necked squash with a cream-basil-sage sauce; Brussels sprouts with Thousand Island dressing (try it, you'll like it); and homemade croissants.  Scrumptious!  At upper left, a banana-pear salad in a sweet, creamy sauce.


Sometime later, after much good eating, conversation, and cigarettes, at last it was time for the piece de resistance:  M.P.'s famous Lemon Mousse, a light, delicate sensation of foamy sweetness that was simply sublime:  the perfect end to a delightful meal.  I wish I could hand each of my truckbuddies a glass of it.

And so, as the blue light of early dawn was seeping through the blinds, we concluded our feast with grateful hearts for another happy evening of light and joy in a gloomy old world.  I hope all of you had a lovely day and dinner, too.

What's that you say?  The dishes?  Oh we simply left them in the sink.  And I just now got them all finally washed up and put away tonight.  You can do that when you're retired!


5 comments:

Frank said...

Your holiday meals are so elegant and fancy. I would be full after the appetizers and soup course. Or I would pass and go right to the main entre.

Haven't had lamb in years...never see it around here in the markets or maybe I just haven't looked. With the food industry problems (meat processing plants closing and farmers plowing crops under because they can't get them to market) we may be without meat or veggies soon. The coolers where the eggs usually are, are already mostly empty. I fear we have not yet seen the worse.

Davis said...

I am so envious. we of course are quarantined so no gathering with anyone aside from us two - that was fine for this one time it being our fortieth anniversary, but we sure do miss getting together with friends.

Russ Manley said...

Appreciate ya, fellas. Wish I could have handed you all a plate.

NW MAN said...

Love your blog. My husband and I live in a small town in Washington state and do all of our own cooking. We can relate to you and your meals. Always fun to see what's cookin'. We love eating at home so much we usually only eat in restaurants if we are traveling. We just bought a new Lance travel trailer so now we will be able to cook on the road, wheeee!

Just wanted you to know you inspired me to make lemon mousse. I make lemon curd for filling a layer cake, etc. but never made lemon mousse. I am using Ina Garten's recipe (she rocks).

Thanks for the inspiration.

Russ Manley said...

You're welcome. The inspiration is all due to M.P.'s creativity; cooking is his hobby and his glory. He made up his own recipe, translating from chocolate mousse. And I get to be the guinea pig for all his new ideas - lucky me.

Thanks for stopping by, buddy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails