C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The Tale of the Two LIfeguards, Part III

A guest post by my truckbuddy Tim from England, now resident in Spain:

The Tale of the Two Lifeguards

Chapter Three.
In which there are new endings and old beginnings, 
and we bid farewell to our friends . . .

Image by my good friend hi-host here on tumblr. Thanks Lenny.

Unaware of the drama playing out at the little wooden pier, Old José and his wife, Anita, locked up their cafe for the day. They locked all the doors, front, back and sides. They pulled all the shutters shut and closed all the windows, side by side, front and back too. And when they had finished, Anita took up the lantern whilst José switched of all the electric lights. Then they opened the secret trapdoor and descended the stone stairs, locking the trapdoor securely behind them.

The stairs twisted around and down. Soon they could feel the heat, rising warm air condensed into sparkling drops of dew on the cold stone walls as they descended yet further. A blue glow began to strengthen and light their way, then Anita blew out the lantern, for there was no need of it any more. The warm water before them glowed with its own magical light, now blue, now green. Wisps of steam danced and chased one another over the water's surface, for they were magic too.

Anita took José's gnarled hand in hers and together they walked down the last steps that led into the glittering water. And as their bodies submerged, and the wisps of steam clung to their bodies, so their legs glowed blue and green, just like the water, and then they turned into fish’s tails.

"Has he chosen yet?" asked José.

"No, not quite yet . . ." Anita replied, ". . . but Piers is staying on the island again tonight. It won't be long now."

"Then our time is over?"

"Soon, my dear, soon . . ."

Continued after the jump . . .


"MEDUSAE ON ME!"

As Chris dove down below the surface, the three Medusae Jellyfish surrounded him. The eldest, and biggest, was Medusa herself. And by her side, her two younger sisters, Stheno and Euryale. Their long tentacles swirled about Chris, matching his every move, guarding and protecting. He saw the Barracuda ahead of him. It had something black and white trailing from one side of its great mouth. It was Polly.

Chris flexed his powerful tail as he had never done before and charged into the big fish like a battering ram. Finding the air suddenly knocked out of its swim bladder, the monster opened it jaws in pain; releasing the half-drowned seagull as it did so. The Barracuda turned to attack its assailant, only to find its path blocked by a curtain of stinging tentacles. One large black eye suffered repeated stings. Consumed by pain and rage, the fish turned half-blindly to flee. Chris saw his chance and shot forward once more. He grabbed at the beast's tail, but it eluded him. Then he heard a splash from above and looked up in alarm. "PIERS?"

The three Medusae immediately moved to attack the new threat.

"NO SISTERS! That is Piers, my Lieutenant. He is most trusted!"

Right away the jellyfish slowed, then stopped, as Piers scooped up the limp black and white form from the water and clambered back onto the little pier. Ab, Ba and Cuss flew around overhead, screaming in alarm. "Ka, Ka, Ka! Ka, Ka, Ka!"

"Is poor Polly alive?" asked Ab.

"Don't die Polly!" wailed Ba.

"She's an ex-parrot." opined Cuss.

"Hush now!" said Piers. "Polly's still alive, but only just. She's lost part of one foot. A toe, one claw and some webbing. Be quiet you three and let me concentrate. I need the first aid kit on my boat."

Chris' head popped up alongside, much to Piers' relief.

"Oh Chris! Thank goodness, you're safe! Has that horrible fish gone? It was a Sphyraena Barracuda, but not from these waters. It's a genus only found in the Atlantic normally."

"Hmm, we simply call them Barracó. He's gone. But he won't get far. Look." Chris opened his hand, in it lay half a sickle shaped tail fin, stripped blue and green, and now, red. "I only just missed him!" Chris threw the tail into the water in disgust.

"Here, will you hold Polly for me then . . . that's it, gently. Keep your finger pressed against the wound. I need to get my first aid kit . . . Ah, good, here it is, potassium permanganate. That will stop the bleeding. Oh, and some glucose solution, for the shock."

Ab, Ba, and Cuss had now settled on the little yellow boat, observing closely, their beady eyes bright with anxiety. Chris held Polly carefully in his big hands, whilst Piers treated and bound her wounds. "That's all I can do for now. I'll leave her in the boat for the moment, she'll feel safe here."

"Ka, Ka, Ka! Will Polly live?" chorused the three watching seagulls.

"Tonight will be the test." replied Piers. "If she makes it through to the morning, she will be alright I think."

"Then I will stay and guard her." said Chris firmly.

"And us, and us! Ka, Ka, Ka! Ka, Ka, Ka!"

"Thank you, Captain, and not so much noise you three! Polly needs peace and quiet!"

Piers put Polly inside the cabin, then came out to wash his hands in the sea. "Chris, what was all that about 'Sisters' and 'trusted Lieutenants' before the Barracuda grabbed Polly?"

"Ah! You have good hearing too. Well, the sisters are my three guardians, the three Medusae. You've met them before, but you haven't been introduced. When you jumped back into the water to rescue your seagull friend, they were going to attack you. So I had to quickly tell them you were my Lieutenant, and so most trusted. We must get you your yellow sea grass soon. Then they will recognize you as my Lieutenant."

"Oh, well thank you. You must introduce me properly then."

"Yes, perhaps when you are, er, honored."

"Honored? You've said that before."

"Yes, um, when you are presented with your yellow seagrass." said Chris rather vaguely.

"Oh, I see, I think. And what about that horrible fish? What was he doing here? Will he return?"

"He won't get far. He will never feel the iron sea and its cold grey waters around him again. I believe he was sent by the King of Lyonesse to spy on Atlantis, or me, for some reason."

"Lyonesse? But that's a fairytale!"

"No, it's real, just like my home. Atlantis and Lyonesse are ancient enemies."

But just as Piers was going to ask more questions, a voice called out.

"Piers? Is that you? Who are you talking to?" It was Anita, and quick as a flash, Chris ducked under the pier.

"Er, I was talking to the gulls. Polly's been injured, but I think she'll be alright."

"Oh dear! I do hope so. Do you want to bring her inside? Supper will be ready soon."

"Tomorrow perhaps, she's had enough adventures for today, we all have. Give me a moment."

"Well, don't be long. The early seal catches the fattest fish."

"That's funny." Piers said, "I heard someone else use the same expression just the other day."

"Probably my husband." Anita replied a little too quickly. "He says it a lot."

"Yes probably." agreed Piers, but he knew it had been Chris who'd said it.

As soon as Anita had gone, Chris popped his head above the water.

"Captain, did you tell me you knew Anita and old José?"

"Er, yes, I do, sort of. But I'm not ready yet."

"Not ready for what?

"Hmm, handsome, clever, good eyesight and hearing. Kind to animals, and now inquisitive . . . You'll see Lieutenant, soon. Right, you go and get your supper, I'll look after Polly. If I need you, I'll send one of the gulls. If not, I'll see you here tomorrow, when the sun appears. Um, goodnight then Piers."

"Goodnight Chris." Piers thought Chris sounded a bit sad, so he bent down low over the side of the boat.

"Chris?"

"Yes?"

"Mwah . . . Thank you for saving me from the Barracó."

"Oh, just doing my job!" Chris blushed.

"Heh, heh! Alright. And another, Mwah . . . Thank you for saving Polly."

"One for luck?"

"MWAAHH."

******

Next morning, as soon as the sun rose, Piers went down to his little boat. He'd hardly slept all night. First he'd had nightmares about the Barracuda, then he'd lain awake worrying about Polly, and finally he had such lovely dreams about Chris. That had been the very best part, just before he woke up. Which, as you all know, is always the nicest time, when you're only half awake, and only half asleep. But now Piers had to check on his patient . . . and his Captain.

"Ah, Piers, there you are, Good morning. I'll have to add good timekeeping to the list."

"And good morning to you. What list? And how's Polly?"

"Polly's been very quiet, but she's been clacking her beak for a little while now. I think she might be hungry. I know I am!"

"Oh, that's a good sign. Let me see . . . Hmm, the wounds have clotted nicely. I don't know if her claw will grow back though. We'll have to wait and see."

"Well, I've got things to do, places to be. The early seal . . .

". . . catches the fattest fish . . . yes, I know. Anita said the same thing yesterday."

"Well, there you are then, it must be true. I'll see you when you go out in your boat. At the Cave of the Sea Wolves."

"But what about that list? And just how exactly do you know Anita and José?"

"Later Lieutenant, now I'll have to add persistent to it. Ha!" And with a wave of his arm and a splash of his tail, Christopher disappeared below the waves. Just then there was a flutter of wings. It was Ab, Ba and Cuss.

"We got up early to see how Polly was. Before we go and feed." said Ab and Ba.

"Is she still as sick as a parrot?" laughed Cuss. Of course, deep down he was worried about her, but he didn't like to show it. He may have had a sharp, foul beak, but he had a kind heart too.

"She's better, and she's hungry." answered Piers, "I'll see what they have in the cafe."

"Polly want's a cracker." said Polly.

"You 'kin got that right! K**, K**, K**!" swore Cuss.

But Polly didn't want a cracker, or any of the other tasty treats that Piers tried to get her to eat that morning. He knew that if she didn't eat soon, she might never recover.

"Oh Polly, what are we going to do with you? Please eat something, please?" Piers was getting desperate. He stroked her head gently, and she clacked her beak, her yellow beak, with its red spot. "Red spot! That's it!" exclaimed Piers. "Where are those gulls when I need them? Ab, Ba, Cuss, come here you three!" He blew his Lifeguard whistle and, one by one, they returned.

"Right you three. Who's eaten?"

"No fishes!" said Ab.

"Too early for fishes! said Ba.

"BURPP!" said Cuss.

"It's going to be you then Cuss. Come here please." Piers sounded quite stern.

"What do you . . . Awkk! 'kin 'ell, put me down, Awkk, you 'kin ugly brute!"

"Hush now! You are going to provide Polly with her breakfast."

"I'll do no such . . . Oi, what are you doin’? Urkk!"

Piers had placed Cuss's head close to Polly's. Then he'd got Polly to tap the red spot at the end of Cuss's beak with her own.

"Erkk, Erkk I'm gonna' be sick, sick as a parrot!"

"No Cuss, you're going to be sick for the parrot, well Polly anyway. Her tapping your beak will make you regurgitate some of your breakfast."

"I don't want to! It's 'kin mine! Erkk, Urggh!"

"I need you to regurgitate some gloop, for Polly."

"Re what? Gloop?" Asked Ab and Ba.

"He means throw-up, chunder!" said Cuss angrily. "Don't they teach you fledglings anything these days? Hurgh! That red spot on your beak you Erkk'in idiots! Oh no, not my sardine . . . Splurgh!"

"Ooh, they always make me feel hungry when I see one." said Ba.

"That's what they're for. Chicks peck at them and it stimulates the regurgitation of semi-digested food. Gloop." explained Piers, who was good at explaining things.

"Re-gloop? Funny Piers! Ka, Ka, Ka!" laughed the two siblings.

"Yo-Ho-Ho" said Polly, enjoying her breakfast, and Cuss's too!

******

In the days that followed, Polly made a good recovery. And on one particular day, I think it was a Tuesday, Piers had some other good news that I can relate. He'd got his university degree, an MSci in Marine Biology. He was so thrilled, he couldn't wait to tell Chris all about it, which he did, as soon as the last ferry boat had left tiny Tabarca.

Piers was sat at the end of the little wooden pier, his binoculars in his hands, dipping his toes in the warm water. All the gulls were there, Ab was flying around overhead in lazy circles, Ba was floating on the blue water, now it was safe from Barracudas. Cuss was loafing as usual, his two feathery aerials sticking up from his head; whilst Polly looked out inquisitively from her safe place on the yellow rescue boat. Christopher was there of course, resting his head on one hand as he listened with a big silly grin on his face. And although you couldn't see them, because they were transparent after all, Medusa, Stheno and Euryale swayed gently in the current below.

Piers had told Chris his news, and had explained all about his studies. He was very clever, but also very modest, and the Captain was enchanted by Piers' talking. Even if he didn't understand some of the big words. Did he have clever on his list? Chris couldn't remember, it was such a long list now. But it didn't really matter; he'd already made his mind up.

At length, Piers finished, and then apologized, because he was polite as well as modest.

"Oh, I'm sorry Captain, there's me talking all the time. What's your news? Have you seen any more of that horrible Barracó?"

Chris was so enraptured looking at Piers, he didn't realize it was his turn to speak. His chestnut brown eyes had gone all dreamy, and his thoughts were all warm and fuzzy.

"Chris?"

. . .

"Captain, er, hello?"

"Ah, hello Piers, um, what were you saying?"

"Heh, heh, I thought you were somewhere else! Your eyes are all sleepy."

"It's the sun, yes, that's what it was, making me droopy."

"Really?"

"Er, no, not really. Ha! I just love listening to your voice Piers. I could listen to you forever. You know such a lot about the sea, for a 'Legs'."

"Thank you!"

"Piers, I have decided. Now I have a question for you."

"You do? What?"

"What happens when the summer ends? Where will you go? I, I'm going to miss you. There, I said it."

"No you won't."

Chris puffed his chest out. "If I say I will miss you Lieutenant, I will miss you."

"No, you won't miss me my dear Captain, because I'm not going anywhere when the summer ends. I will be staying here, on little Tabarca. I have a new job. I was keeping it a surprise, but you are now talking to the new, resident, Scientific Officer for Tabarca."

"Resident?"

"Yes, as in living here, permanently. Though I don't know where yet. The knowledge you've given me on the meadows of seagrass, and all the creatures that live there meant I passed the job interview with flying colours."

"Oh Piers, that's wonderful! Now I can tell you my secret."

"What's that?"

"Lieutenant Piers Nivans, will you be my, um, will you be my partner? I've thought for a while now that you were the one. Now I know I've chosen well, you are as kind to nature as you are to people."

"Chosen? I don't understand."

"I wish you to become my partner Piers Nivans."

"Partner? What in? What do you mean?"

"In life. Don't you feel it too, that we should be together?"

"What, like your deputy?"

"No, like my husband."

And of course, the careful, considered, ever thoughtful Piers said "Yes!" straightaway!

"Yes! Oh Yes! Mwaahh!"

"MWAAHH! That's settled then. Follow me Piers, in your boat, and we'll gather your yellow seagrass. Things have to be done properly."

"Now?"

"Oh yes. To make it official."

And so off they set, towards the setting sun, with Ab, Ba and Cuss wheeling excitedly overhead. "Ka, Ka, Ka! Ka, Ka, Ka!"

******

Two pairs of eyes had watched the little yellow boat leave

"He has chosen." said old José.

"Do we tell him?"

"We must obey the King."

"We should consider everything very carefully now."

"And the future of the grotto?"

"Especially that . . ."

******

Chris had swam ahead of Piers, showing him the way to meadow of yellow seagrass. Once there, they both dove down into the water. Someone was there to meet them. The old hermit Crab raised a claw in greeting and Chris waived an arm back in cheery response, because he was so happy.

"Hello Karkinos, this is Lieutenant Piers. He is my chosen, and he has accepted."

"Hebblo Karbibos." bubbled Piers.

"H.E.L.L.O Y.O.U.N.G M.A.N." Karkinos said it slowly, spelling it out, because he wasn't sure Piers would understand. "A Legs! Does he always talk in bubbles?"

"Ha! He's still learning."

"I knew it was a sign, when I saw you two together, the other day. And that Barracó, with half a tail. That was a portent if ever I saw one. Well, half a one at least!"

"You've seen the stranger from the Iron Sea?" Chris looked around, suddenly alert.

"Seen him, I've eaten him. And very tasty he was too for a portent. Bit salty mind, but nice texture. You don't always get that with portents." said Karkinos knowledgeably.

"Eaben!?" asked Piers.

"The dolphins were playing tag with him, and they were getting rather boisterous. Then the sharks arrived and that was the end of him I'm afraid. But some nice morsels came our way down here. All the hermit crabs came out of their shells to dine, and you know how reclusive they can be! Some didn't fit back in afterwards."

"And did you collect the . . . ?" enquired Chris.

"Off course Captain, as per your standing orders. Um, two actually, because of the sign and all. They're here, all threaded and ready."

"Good crab! Oh, one last favor. Would you mind cutting some yellow seagrass, the yellowest, for Piers' insignia of rank?"

"Certainly Sir" Karkinos saluted with his biggest pincer. "Snip, snip, snip . . ."

******

As they said their goodbyes that evening at the wooden pier, Chris sounded serious.

"You are staying again tonight? You have given your parents the ring?"

"Heh, heh! Yes, I called them, on our way back. It's getting dark earlier now."

"Then you must talk to Jose and Anita this evening."

"What about?"

"About the honoring, about being chosen. Er, and about me."

"Oh my dear sweet Chris, you always sound so mysterious. Should I be worried?"

"No, but these things must be done properly. José and Anita are my guardians. They must explain, it is the King's law. We will have the ceremony tonight."

"Alright, I will listen most carefully then."

"And remember the words, in the right order."

"Words . . .?"

"The words of choosing. Mwaahh!" Chris gave Piers a tender kiss. "Remember I love you. Now I must be going. Goodnight my chosen one." and with a final wave of his hand, Chris disappeared beneath the waves and was gone."

"Oh, goodnight then Chris . . ." said Piers wistfully as he looked at the ripples spreading wider and wider until they too disappeared. ". . . goodnight my love."

******

That evening, over supper, Piers could hardly believe his ears as he discussed his and Chris' conversation with his friends.

"Yes, we are Christopher's guardians." confirmed old José.

"Christopher is three hundred years old this year. Now he has chosen, it marks his coming of age." added Anita.

"What! Three hundred! Good heavens! He doesn't look a day over thirty."

"Merfolk can live to be over a thousand."

"He is King Gadeirus' son, a Prince."

"That's why he's in the Royal Lifeguards."

"We don't know who his mother is. The King has many, er, lovers. Christopher was left with us to raise, on the King's orders."

"So he's of Royal blood, and sort of an orphan. He never said, how sweet. But he did say something about some words; having to be in the right order?"

"Yes, They're the most important part of the ceremony . . . the vows."

"Like in a marriage?"

"Exactly like that. Merfolk don't have Marriages, they have Choosings. Don't worry, we'll help you learn them. There's not many." Anita patted Piers' hand.

"Just as well, Christopher's not that good with lots of words himself." chuckled old José.

"And don't forget the grotto." added Anita.

"The grotto?"

"Yes." said José. "One of our most closely guarded secrets. We'll take you there later but first, those words . . ."

******

Oh! It's so beautiful! And the water is so warm, obviously geothermal. The way the wisps of steam cling to you, like they're alive . . ."

"They are. That's the magic!"

"Magic? But . . . ?"

"You believe in Mermen don't you?"

"Well, yes. Now I do."

"Then you can believe in magic. The grotto is a gift, from Gaea, the Earth Mother. Watch."

Anita and José held hands and stepped into the water together. Piers gasped in amazement as first he saw their legs glow green and blue, and then turn into fishes tails.

"Y-you've turned to Merfolk!"

"The old couple laughed. "No, we've always been Merfolk. The water turns us to 'Legs'. Ha, ha! Come on Piers, you try."

Piers swallowed hard, as you well might! But he summoned up his courage, which was a lot, and walked boldly down into the water. He could feel his legs tingling. And when he looked down, well, what do you think he saw? Yes, a beautiful fish’s tail, with scales all yellow, hazel and gold.

"Perfect! They are your colors." said the warm, deep voice beside him.

"Christopher!"

"Ha! Surprise! How's that for timing? Military perfection." He puffed his chest out proudly.

"But how did you get here?"

"There's a hidden tunnel, from the sea, known only to a few."

With all the surprises, Piers wobbled a bit. It took some getting used to, treading water with a tail you've only just got! But he soon managed, and smiled happily at Chris.

"That's it, stand to attention Lieutenant!" Piers could see Chris had something in his hand. "By the authority of his Majesty, King Gadeirus the Second of Atlantis, who is also my father by the way, I hereby make you a Lieutenant in his Majesty's Lifeguards. Now, raise your right arm Piers. Do you swear to uphold the King's law and guard the secrets of Atlantis?"

"I do."

"Good! Now, let me bind this seagrass about your left arm . . . there! Now you are officially my Lieutenant."

Chris took Piers' hand and stepped out of the water with him.

"Chris! You've got legs! And, um, no clothes!"

"Ha, ha! So have you!"

"Will you keep them?"

"Until he goes into the water again." said Anita “Just as you would keep your tail until you came out of the water."

"So I don't have to carry you around again?" said Piers.

"And you don't have to drop me! Ha, ha, ha!" laughed Chris. "Now everyone, back into the water. José, will you officiate please? Anita, would you hold the tokens of our choosing? Good. Then we may begin."

"Prince Christopher, son of King Gadeirus the Second, Captain of the King's Lifeguards, Defender of Merfolk. Holder of the King's Award for Bravery First Class You have come of age. Have you chosen?"

"I have." Chris beamed at Piers proudly.

"Who have you chosen?"

"I have chosen Piers Nivans, son of David and Maria Nivans, Lieutenant of the King's Lifeguards, Senior Lifeguard of Tabarca and MSci."

"Piers Nivans, have you chosen?"

"Oh yes, I have . . . !"

And so the ceremony continued. Finally, José came to the words of choosing. Chris and Piers recited them together.

"In Clear and Gray,
and Salt and Spray.
In Wave or Foam,
Wher'er we roam.
In Calm or Storm,
Dusk and Dawn.
By Green or Blue,
Just Me and You.
We two are chosen,
We two are one."

"Anita, the tokens please."

Chris took the two necklaces, made from the teeth of the Barracó that Karkinos had collected and threaded onto golden wire. He placed one around Piers' neck, and gave him the other to place around his own.

"These tokens represent our choosing Piers, may we wear them always."

"We will Chris, we will. Mwaahh!"

"Mwaahh!" And wear them always they did.

"Well, that's the ceremony over,” said José. “Shall we celebrate?"

Anita whispered in his ear.

"Oh, yes, they um, yes, right," José blushed. "We'll, er, we'll leave you two to it."

Chris and Piers held each other in a long, warm embrace.

"Legs or tails?" asked Piers.

"Legs first, I've often wondered how . . ." replied Chris.

******

When Chris and Piers stepped out into the morning sun the next day, the gulls flew around excitedly. "Ka, Ka, Ka! Piers has got a boyfriend!" squawked Ab and Ba.

"He's got a 'kin boyfish more like, K**, K**, K**!" said Cuss.

"No, more than that." replied Piers happily. "I've got a husband!"

"Who's a pretty boy then? Arrk! Phweeht Phoooh!" said Polly in her best Seacaw.

******

José and Anita retired, and so the cafe became Chris and Piers' new home; and they became the new guardians of its secret magic grotto. Piers turned the cafe into Tabarca's new Marine Life Center, and Chris, when he had his 'legs', helped him run it. And when Piers had his 'tail' they would go exploring together, tending to the seagrass meadows and their inhabitants.

Chris and Piers became inseparable and vowed to see the Monk Seals return to the Cova del Llop Mari, the Cave of the Sea Wolves, one day. However, they and their friends were to have many more adventures in the crystal-clear waters surrounding the tiny island of Tabarca before that happened.

But most importantly of course, they all lived happily ever after!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog. Here you have given the details of chapter 3 of the tale of the two lifeguards. I observed the brief story of this movie. It is very interesting. I like this blog. Along with this article, I would like to share some interesting facts about the hammerhead sharks which are a group of sharks that form the family sphyrnidae.

Tim said...

kalpana, how interesting, what a fearsome looking creature. I’m glad you liked the story.

Related Posts with Thumbnails