C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Forty Years of Sunday Morning

The celebrated TV newsmagazine CBS News Sunday Morning first aired on January 28, 1979, so Wikipedia tells me.  My, how time flies; seems to me as if it's just been around forever.  I can't say I've been a devoted fan of the program - even in 1979, when I was still struggling and starving my way through college, I was rarely up early enough on Sundays to watch it. I'm afraid that age has not improved my aversion to early rising, and now that I am retired, I rise or sleep at all hours, quite impartially, according to mere whimsy.

But when I have caught the show, here and there through the years, I have nearly always enjoyed it: a kinder, gentler news program, with a light, thoughtful touch that is sorely needed in the frantic, ranting world of today. Here are a few short clips to remind us of what television has been, and still can be.









And be it said to the show's renown, Sunday Morning has been the last, the very last refuge of the spirit of Poesie - a dead, despised, and forgotten art. For many years, the inimitable Charles Osgood valiantly led the arrière-garde; and now the distinguished Ted Koppel takes up the faded banner:




2 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Whoa. Forty years already!

Davis said...

I has been my husbands "church service" for decades!

Related Posts with Thumbnails