C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Season of Giving

A guest post by my truckbuddy Tim from England, now resident in Spain:


The Season of Giving 


Decorating the House by xTh13teeNx here at Deviantart . . . always a favourite!


Late October, 2016:

"My, my, who’s getting to be a big boy den?  Yes oo is, yes.  Oo's a big Wuffy Ruffy?" 

Piers rolled his eyes; listening to Chris doing baby talk was like listening to fingernails scraping on a chalk board.

"Does oo like a tickle?  Oo does?  Ha, ha, ha!"

Chris and Piers were relaxing in their home, codenamed the Deuce of Hearts.  Their GSD puppy, Ruff, lay on his back at their feet; his legs in the air.  Chris bent down and rubbed Ruff's belly again.

"He's growing so fast.  I think it might be time for Danny to give Ruff the facts of life lesson Ace.  You know, like we had at High School?  Blow-up dolls, fumbling with condoms on bananas."

Piers raised his eyebrows.  "Er, well I don't know what you were taught; we had some poor young TA slotted for the job, cute guy.  I still remember his red face when he . . . er, anyway it's rather different for animals, it's more an instinctive thing.  And besides, I don't think Ruffy needs our help or training from Danny anymore."

Continued after the jump . . . .


"Sorry?"

"Um, well, it might be too late, Chris.  Mary said the last time she looked after him, he and Poochie were, er, 'getting it on', to use her own words.  I'm not sure how, given their size difference. I didn't want to ask in front of Robbie Jr and Becky.  Mac MacDonald thought it was hilarious."

"Hmm, was he there again?  He's been seeing a lot of Mary lately.  Not that I mind, Mac's a great guy and Mary needs the company."

"Well it's been a year since . . . well, you know."  said Piers quietly.  He tried to avoid talking too much about the terrorist bombings that had claimed the life of Captain Robin Ellis, Mary's husband and one of Chris' oldest friends from his Air Force days.  The bombings that had almost claimed the lives of Alpha Team's two young corporals, Finn Macauley and Danny Svenson too.  They had been watching the stars and making love on the roof of the barracks when the bomb went off in Finn's room below, leaving them both seriously injured. 

Chris groaned.  "Oh God, that makes me feel old."

"What?"  Piers suddenly looked concerned; he hated Chris to be upset.

"Our boy, going to be a daddy!"

"Oh, that!"  Piers rolled his eyes again.  The vision of Chris as 'Grandfather' to a pack of fluffy white German 'Shpoodles' was hard to stomach, especially if it involved more baby talk.  But secretly he was relieved.  Anything was better than Chris falling into a PTSD-induced depression.  Panic over, he picked up the remote and switched the TV on.

They'd only been watching the TV for half an hour when Chris suddenly let out a long, loud sigh.  He'd already spent most of the evening grumbling and fidgeting.  Piers could read the signs:  Chris wanted to talk about something.  He hit the remote and muted the sound.

"OK, Bearfield, spill the beans.  What's up?"

"All this Christmas stuff."  Chris gestured to the TV.  "It's still two months away, but already they've started the damned adverts.  There's way too much Christmas hype.  Buy this, buy that, stock up with these.  It's meant to be a season for giving, not taking.  It's all so commercialized nowadays.  Another benefit of this 'great' democracy of ours.  It makes me sick, Ace!"

'I agree Babe, we seem to have forgotten the religious aspect.  That's what it's really meant to celebrate.  The birth of Jesus."

"I didn't think you were especially religious, Piers.  You always surprise me!"  Chris put his arm around his partner and pulled him in close.

"Well, I can't say I'm practicing.  For me it's much more of a personal thing – it gives me an inner strength to call upon when I need it.  But I don't feel the need to go around making a show of it."

"That's good to have, Babe."  Chris squeezed Piers' shoulder.  "I'm afraid I sorta lapsed a long, long time ago.  I've seen so much suffering, ever since I was a kid.  I sometimes find it hard to believe in a benevolent God; except the one that brought you back to me.  So I just don't know anymore.  And I hate the way some people force their beliefs on you.  It is good for swearing, though!"

"Chris, you're incorrigible!"  Piers smiled.  "Don't worry, I'm not about to try and convert you.  We all have our different beliefs, and our different ways of expressing them.  It makes us human, don't you agree?"

Piers did this, thought Chris.  They would start a conversation and Piers would lead him into some profound and meaningful discussion.  Not that Chris couldn't reason or debate, far from it.  It was just that he usually preferred not to.  He liked their home life to be fun, simple and stress free.  Work provided more than enough excitement. 

"Hey, you're getting in deep again, Ace – relax.  It's just that this year I'd like to do something really special.  For Finn and Danny in particular.  I still feel responsible for what happened to them.  They suffered because of me."

"Babe, we've been through this before.  You're not to blame; you can't bear every burden personally.  You were as much the intended target as they were."  Piers looked deeply into the brown eyes of his partner.  "No one blames you for any of it, only you.  Let it go, please – for me?"  Piers lent in and kissed Chris lightly on the forehead.  It always worked.

"OK, I won't go on about it, but I won't change my mind about helping those two boys of ours."

"That's good.  So what do you want to do?" 

"I want to find that missing spirit of Christmas.  To give for a change, not just to receive.  And Finn and Danny are going to be the recipients."

"Well, you do that all the time Chris."  Piers laughed, “You give commands and we receive orders.  You give zombies love taps and they receive broken necks." 

Chris rubbed his right hand, scarred and covered in calluses.   He grinned.  "Yeah, the gift that keeps on giving."
 
"Well anyway, I think it's a great idea.  They've had a tough year.  Leaving Alpha, that really cut Finny up.  Both starting their medical training.  And Danny's only just stopped using crutches.  It's been pretty intense.  So what exactly have you got in mind?"  asked Piers.

Chris scratched the back of his thick neck thoughtfully.  "I'm not quite sure yet, but I want to involve Alpha somehow.  You know, a team-building kinda thing.  Let me mull it over for a day or so, OK?"

"Sure, Babe, count me in when you've decided." 

Piers picked up the TV magazine lying on the coffee table and started to flick through it.  "Here, you'd like this then?" he said to a Chris still lost in thought.  "An article on how it's better to give rather than receive."

"Hmm, that does give me one idea Ace.  How do you fancy an early Christmas present?"

"What!  There's still two months to go, like you just said."

"Well, I'll give you something on account.  You put Ruff in the utility room and I'll get your 'present' ready upstairs."  Chris smirked.

"Is this going where I think it’s going?" said Piers, one latte-colored eyebrow raised inquiringly.

"Grrr!"

"Woof!"

************************

Chris lay alongside Piers; one large, muscular arm draped around golden-hued shoulders.  It had taken Chris a while to realize that lovemaking should be a shared experience.  That giving was as important as taking.  That it could be just as rewarding being the bottom as the top. 

At first it hadn't been in his nature, or indeed within his experience, to be the submissive partner.  But the years living with Piers had taught him otherwise.  Now the pleasure of dominance was eclipsed by the thrill of shared love making; and Piers' attention to detail never ceased to amaze the older man.  There didn't seem to be a part of Chris' body that the sniper hadn't studied, hadn't used to stimulate him.  Sometimes Chris ached for the physical gratification of entry and release to be over, so that the bliss and sensuality of Piers' sublime investigations could begin.

And afterwards they would lay together in close embrace, sometimes in the silence that only true lovers share.  And sometimes, like now, just talking quietly, happily tired from their previous exertions.

"Wow, Christmas did come early!" said Piers, smiling, his eyes half-closed in pleasure.
 
"Hmm, it wasn't the only one I noticed!"  Chris softly kissed the top of Piers' head.  It smelt of cedar, cinnamon and sex.

"Well, your pre-Christmas present got me excited . . . that ribbon and bow was a nice touch . . . I'm not always cool under fire you know!"

"Yeah, like I believe that Ace, you’re the coolest sniper I've ever known."

"Oh!"  Piers opened his eyes wide and looked up with raised eyebrows, “So, there have been others then?"

"None quite like you Babe!"  Piers pouted, and Chris laughed.  "Ha, ha, just teasin'."

"You'd better be, Bearfield, its hunting season now, and I never miss!"  Piers snuggled in tight again, smelling the scent from their earlier passion, drawing in the heat that always emanated from Chris' body.  His fingers sought out the hair in Chris' armpit, still damp with sweat from the physicality of their love making.  Sensitive fingers slowly twirled the moist dark hairs around their tips, whilst full-lips kissed the broad, muscular chest.

"Ahh, this is bliss!"  Chris thrilled at his partner's touch; it was an effort to concentrate.  He sighed contentedly, then spoke slowly, as if it required careful deliberation.  "Piers . . . what are we doing?  This Christmas . . . Us  . . . and Alpha?"

Piers looked up from his tender administrations.  He matched Chris' tone and pace.  "Well . . . normally Claire . . . or Mom come and visit . . . it kinda depends on what Terra Save or my brothers and sister are doing.  Tim’s on duty . . . somewhere 'hush-hush' at present.  Lucy's 'doing' Europe . . . and who knows where Adam is?" he shrugged his shoulders.  "So nothing's definite yet.  As for the team, everyone's staying around base this year, I think.  No one's got much leave left except us.  We never did get that road-trip in Cristobal we promised ourselves." sighed Piers, thinking of his ’69 El Camino.  

"I'm sorry Ace, but you know how shit happens in this game." said Chris, hugging Piers closer still.  They didn't seem to have had a moment’s rest since their return from Edonia in the Spring.  "Hmm, let's take a rain check with Claire and your Mom this Christmas.  See them in the New Year instead."

"Ohh-Kay . . . ." Piers replied cautiously.  He could sense Chris was building up to something.  "Why?"

"What we were talking about last night, that business about it being better to give than receive.  I have a plan.  It'll use up all our remaining leave though, and the team's probably; unless I can swing it as a training exercise.  Listen . . . ."


Early November 2016:

"Room 'shun!"  Sergeant Andy Walker shouted out.

Chris came in smiling broadly, followed by Piers, who was carrying a clipboard.

Ben and Carl looked at one another in horror.

"Crap!  No. 2 Captain's got the clipboard out, look."  whispered Ben.

"OMG, we're done for, that always spells bad news, bro!"  Carl put his head in his hands.

"Sit down, guys."  Chris beamed at them and rubbed his large hands with anticipation.  "Do you want the good news or the bad news?" he said.

"Wait, let me guess, Captain."  said Andy.  "OK, so the bad news is we're going on another operation, and the good news is we're all volunteers.  Am I right?"

"Ha!  See, Andy, that's why you’re my senior Sergeant; I don't have to issue any orders, you just read my mind."

"Oh great!  Operations again, I can't wait, man!" Raúl said excitedly, jumping up and down in his chair.

"You almost got us all killed last time." said Rick flatly, shuddering slightly at the memory.

"Heh gringo, I gotta' prove my manlihood, my machismo!"

"Hmm, some of us don't need to prove it!  And 'manlihood' isn't a real word by the way."

"Hey, you stick to your dictionary books, dumbass, leave the fighting to us real men."

"Captain Nivans teaches us to follow procedures, rules, so we each know what the other is doing.  That way we all get to come home . . . Safely."

"Yeah?  Well Captain Redfield teaches flexibility, to improvise, to go in with all guns blazing . . . ow!"

"Ouch!"

Ben started,  "Shut the . . ." 

". . . hell up!" finished Carl; as they smacked the two arguing privates hard around the back of their heads.

"I never thought I'd say this, but I do miss Finn and Danny." said Andy.  He gazed wistfully at his two commanding officers.

"Well, you chose Rick." said Chris, looking accusingly at Piers.

Piers pouted.  "And you chose Raúl.  I leave you alone for five minutes and you come back from recruiting with Mexico's answer to Don Juan."

"Oh, I thought he was Mexican."

Piers rolled his eyes, "No, he was Spanish!"

"Well wherever he's from, he's fiery, he's got spirit.  I like that in a recruit."

"Yeah, so’s tequila."  retorted Piers.

"I like that in a soldier too."  said Andy helpfully.  He received two icy stares.  "Er, the tequila I meant . . . ."  his voice trailed off.

"Thank you Sergeant."  Chris smiled fondly at the men sat facing him.  They were his and Piers' family.  "Now listen up Alpha, I have a plan . . . ."


Late November 2016: 

Kaboom!  The explosion showered down rock and earth.  Small stones ricocheted off the ground and bounced of the soldiers helmets as a cloud of grey dust swept over the slit trench.  They could feel their hearts pounding in their chests, vibrating to the pressure waves, racing with the noise and excitement, as their short, rapid breaths condensed in the freezing winter air.

"Gosh, that was close!" said Rick Harrison, peering cautiously above the edge of the trench.  The slim, sandy-haired private carefully wiped the dust from his protective goggles, and his green eyes blinked in the dusty air.  He was about the same height as Piers, around 5' 10".  Serious and studious, and with a similar tendency for sarcasm.  All qualities Piers had picked up on during the recruitment interview.  But despite his slight build, Piers sensed a wiry strength and quiet determination under the calm exterior.  This was just as well, given his fellow rookie and room-mate, Raúl Fonseca.

"Whooo!  Freekin’ cool.  I gotta try that, man!"  Raúl went to stand up, a big grin on his face.  He was the shortest man on Alpha Team, but as he was fond of saying,  "It's how you use it that counts."  His short stature emphasized a stocky, muscular physique, enhanced by his classic dark Latin good looks.  As a result he had more than a little in common with Andy Walker when it came to relationships with the fairer sex.  Andy, however, had been happy to relinquish his position as Alpha's resident Lothario.  His recent marriage to Rosa and unsuspected fatherhood had quickly settled that issue.

"Keep your head down, you idiot, that tree's just about to go," said Rick.

"Don't tell me what to do man.  Mierda!  You're like mi abuela. 'Do this, Raúl, don't do that, Raúl!'  Dios!"

The tall spruce that Rick had pointed to wobbled for a moment, then slowly toppled earthwards, building up speed as it fell.  Whoosh!  The branches raised another cloud of fine dust, this time mixed with pine needles, as they hit the ground with a crash.

"Is everyone OK?" said Chris, cutting over the two young soldiers’ argument.

"Roger that, Captain." said Andy Walker.  "Stand by, here comes the next one.  Fire in the hole!"  Boom!  Another cloud of rock and earth erupted and a second large pine tree came crashing down.  Swoosh!  This time across the track and rather close to the trench.

"Jeez, how much C4 did you use, Andy?

"About three ounces, Captain." 

"How much?  You only need half that.  Dammit, where's Finny when you need him?"

"Missing our explosives expert already?" Andy grinned.  "Better too much than not enough, you're the one who taught me that, remember?"

Chris laughed.  "OK, OK, so I'm a lousy teacher.  But we're trying to clear a path, remember, not flatten the entire forest!"  

Piers scrambled along the track, keeping low, then dived into the trench, a fine layer of dust covering his gelled hair.  He greeted his partner with a big smile.

"So this is what it's like on point!  No wonder you never let me go on it, you want all the fun for yourself."

"Deserting your post, eh Ace?  And please go easy on that bad leg of yours, running around like that . . ."  Chris fretted that Piers still hadn't fully recovered from the bullet wound he'd received in Edonia.  ". . . and where's your helmet?" 

Piers pouted mischievously.  "Where's yours?"

Chris couldn't help but grin.  "Hmm, I'll reprimand you personally later.  Are Ben and Carl ready?"

Piers called up on the tactical net.  "Alphas Four and Five – bring in the tanks!"

The two large military bulldozers started up, black smoke billowing from the twin exhausts above the armored cabs.

It's just like watching Thunderbirds!" said Raúl excitedly.  "Vroom, vroom.  I wish I was driving one!"

"I suppose that's what passes for educational TV where you come from." said Rick.  "And besides, you're not big enough to see over the steering wheel."

"Pinche gringo!  Say that again!"  Raúl grabbed Rick's shoulders and dug his fingers in hard on the pressure points. 

"Argh!"

Rick immediately chopped Raúl's ears with the edge of his hands.

"Urgh!

"Oi, 'Rock and Roll', pack it in you two!  said Andy as he banged their heads together.  It hadn't taken long for the rest of the team to give the constantly arguing duo their nicknames.  He looked at Chris and Piers in despair.  "I'm sorry, sirs, but what were you thinking of when you picked these two?  They're like oil and water!"

"Roll, er, I mean Raúl, has passion, spirit.  He reminds me of myself when I was his age." said Chris defensively.

Piers sighed.  "And that, Andy, is why I chose Rock, er, Rick dammit; to counteract the effect of Raúl."

"Oh, I see!  So I get two totally useless rookies, not even two half-decent ones.  Is this some sort of sick twisted payback for losing Finn and Danny?" said an exasperated Sergeant.

Chris looked at Piers, who nodded.  "Yes," they both said, laughing in unison.


Late December 2016: 

Finn and Danny had been looking forward to a Christmas together, just the two of them.  So it was disappointing when, just a few days before Christmas, they found they were both detailed for guard duties over the holiday period. 

The previous Christmas, Danny had still been in hospital, and Finn had yet to start walking properly again.  It hadn't been the most romantic holiday; but at least their parents had made the trip to the base.  And whilst Danny's father Lars had initially been hostile to his son's relationship, Finn's mother Maureen had eventually won him around.  It was from her that Finn got his irrepressible optimism.  Lars had realized he wasn't going to win when his wife Astrid became firm friends with Maureen.  But he'd also seen something in his son's eyes for the first time.  A quiet determination that he'd never shown back on the farm until the day he left.  And Finn was certainly caring; he couldn't deny it.  He didn't really understand the relationship; he wasn't sure he ever would.  But he could see it was good for his son, and it made Astrid happy, so he quietly gave in.  However, it had all been rather hectic, and the upsurge in terrorist activity at the time had made accommodating civilian visitors on base difficult.  This year Finn and Danny just wanted to be alone together, and preferably not on duty.

"Oh well, at least we'll see something of one another during the day." said Finn, trying to put a brave face on things as usual.  "Do you think there'll be some mistletoe in the guardhouse perhaps?"

"Best we bring some just for our own use." laughed Danny.  "You'll be kissing everyone in sight otherwise.  I haven't forgotten all those nurses you snogged last year in hospital.  And there was me, dying on my sick-bed."  He made a sad face.

Finn went bright red.  "Oh Lord, don't remind me now Dan – will you ever forgive me?  My left foot was still in plaster, sure I couldn't run away."

"Hmm, I'll see.  If Santa says you've been good this year, I'll forgive you.  OK?"  Danny took off his tan shemagh and 'lassoed' Finn's head with it, pulling him in close.  "And when I say good, I mean very good." he whispered in Finn's ear.

And then things started to go missing from their rooms.  At first they thought one had been borrowing bits and pieces from the other, but they soon realised stuff had actually gone.   They reported it to Sergeant MacDonald in the police section, who assured them he'd look into it.  Stealing on base was pretty rare.  But then it got worse, whole drawers of clothes and kit mysteriously disappeared.   Finn even set up a hidden camera, only to find the next day that it too was missing.  Every time they went back to their rooms, there was something gone, stolen.  Mac's investigations came up with nothing.

"It's worse than when Captain Burrows was here." said Danny angrily, “We're being targeted for being gay.  It's happening all over again Finney."

"Let's tell Captain Chris and Captain Piers.  They'll know what to do." Finn suggested, but Danny was stubborn now he was angry.

"No Finney, they've got enough problems with those two new rookies.  We'll handle this ourselves."

But the situation only worsened.  By Christmas Eve their rooms were virtually empty.  They came back from supper to find two kit bags and Danny's GPS watch on the desk in his room.  There was a note attached:

We are holding all your gear hostage.  If you want to see it again, meet at GPS Ref. 41.415234, -77.038642 19:00 today.

Signed, Santa’s Little Helpers

P.S.  Really Macauley?  Silk briefs? 
P.P.S.  And Svenson, what was that in that sock?  Eeww!

"Oh sweet Mary!" gasped Finn.

"This just got personal." said Danny through gritted teeth.  "Santa's Little Helpers?  What the hell's going on?  Why would our gear be taken there?  If this is someone's idea of a joke I'm not laughing!"  Danny was annoyed now.  It took a lot, but when Danny got angry, boy did he get mad, especially if it affected his Finney!

"Well, whoever they are, they seem to know us.  Surely it can't be anyone from Alpha?  They wouldn't do that to us.  We'd best go and see I suppose.  Where is that position Dan?" 

"Not far from here Finney, I think it's the Deuce of Hearts."

"Sure now, that can't be.  Why would the Captains take our gear?  Check again, now zoom in.  See, it's not there, it's further west, down by the old boathouse . . . ."

It was dark when they pulled up outside the Deuce of Hearts in Finn's car, all the lights were off, the place appeared empty. 

"It's definitely towards the river." said Danny checking their position.  "Look!  There's a proper track there now, where the footpath used to be.  Follow it Finney!"

They drove the short distance down to the boathouse.  It too, was in darkness, except for a large Christmas tree on the porch; it's lights ablaze, red, blue, green, yellow.  And on the top a large silver star twinkled brightly.

"This is the place all right." said Danny, checking the co-ordinates on his watch again as Finn switched off the engine. 

Slowly, they both got out of the car.  "Now what?" said Finn uncertainly,

All of a sudden lights came on in the boathouse and Alpha Team appeared out of the shadows on the porch. 

"Surprise, surprise!  Merry Christmas Finnenson!" 

Finn and Danny stood there speechless, they still didn't really understand what was going on.  Chris stepped forward, grinning from ear to ear.

"Finn, Danny, welcome to your new home, a Christmas present courtesy of Alpha Team.  Officially coded by the BSAA as the Jack of Diamonds.  All your missing things are here, the cupboards are stocked and um....the bed's made."

"It's a double."  Andy said, winking at the two opened mouthed corporals.

Chris put an arm around each of them.

"Happy Christmas boys.  Let's go inside, the team's ready for a housewarming."

"So this is our home?  Really, just for us?  What . . . how . . ?"  For once Finn ran out of words.

"Hey, look Finney, there's a ramp as well as steps!  I don't know what to say.  It's wonderful, thank you so much guys.  I was ready to bust someone's ass for taking all our gear." said Danny.

Chris explained.  "Your new love nest, er, I mean home. We did the track so you can drive right down, and fixed the old place up.  It's got all utilities now and a septic tank....."

"Yeah, especially for your socks Danny!" said Andy, holding his nose.

"All the team took part." continued Chris,  "Andy did the initial demolition work, I'm not sure how much C4 he used, but we probably won't have any left for next year.  Ben and Carl did the clearing and leveling; and kept their bulldozer licenses up to date at the same time.  And Rock and Roll did the utilities, water and electrics."

"Yeah, careful when you use a tap though, amigos."  said Raúl laughing  "Rocky probably connected them to the electric supply.  He don't know if he's AC or DC."

"Heh!  Who got hot water coming out of the cold tap?"  replied Rick.  "C stands for Cold in this country, not Caliente, you nitwit."

"Hache is silent in my language; I wish you were too, gringo."

"Make me!"

"Muy bien, my pleasure . . ."

The two rookies carried on squabbling whilst Chris finished his explanations.  "I did all the woodwork." he said proudly.

Piers laughed.  "You should have seen him Finn, Captain's awesome with a chainsaw!  Watch out for splinters though."  Chris' eyes narrowed.

"Yeh, and Piers ran up the curtains and chose and painted the color scheme."  Chris retorted.  "He's a natural at all that arty stuff!"  

Piers pouted.  "Chris wanted to cover everything in Realtree camo and Green DPM.  Luckily good taste prevailed, so you've emerald green for Ireland and gold for prairie wheat."

"And all your gear's been stowed away . . . neatly!"  said Ben.

"Including the silk undies Finn." Carl smirked as Finn's face went a deep shade of red.

"And the fridge was full of beer."  said Piers, handing Finn and Danny a can each.

"But we couldn't wait, so now it's only half full."  laughed Andy.

"Oh, but we're on duty tomorrow.  We shouldn't . . ."  said Finn sadly.

"Not any more.  Rock and Roll 'volunteered' to do it for you."  Chris smiled,  "I didn't even have to ask."

"No, you just put a hand on their shoulders and pushed them forwards."  said Piers grinning.

They all looked over towards the two privates who were still arguing.

"Peace on earth, goodwill to all men," sighed Chris, "Where did it all go so wrong?"

"Hmm, perhaps they'll find the spirit of forgiveness working 24/7 together Captain."  Danny said.  "I seem to remember you putting Finney and me on duty together once."

"You two were already in love." Chris smirked.

"Well, perhaps they'll end up friends.  It is the right time of year for miracles." said Finn, giving Danny a hug. 

"Come on, let's leave them to it.  I want to show you around . . ." said Chris excitedly, ". . . We've extended the old place a little bit.  Made room for a bathroom and an office.  Oh, and you'll be needing these."  He fished out two sets of keys and an envelope from inside his shirt pocket.  "Your authorized permissions to live off-base, signed in my own fair hand."

"Is that with the big cross Captain?" inquired Andy.

"Oi Walker, watch-it!  Ha, ha!  There's some more paperwork to complete, but we'll sort that out in the new year, there's no rush . . ."


************************

It was nearly eleven o'clock when everyone left.  Chris and Piers walked back up the track whilst teetotal Rick drove the others back to base.  Finn and Danny stood on the porch by the Christmas tree and waved goodbye.  They were still in a daze. 

"What a present Dan!  A place of our very own at last."  Finn hugged his partner close.  Captain Chris is awesome!"

"Mmm, and complete with an un-tested double bed Finney!  All of a sudden I feel very tired."  Danny feigned a yawn.

"Not too tired I hope Dan?"

"No, not too tired.  Later on, perhaps, with any luck.  Heh, heh!"

"Oh Dan!" 

************************

"Did you set it up Ace?" asked Chris when they got back to their bedroom in the Deuce of Hearts.

"Yeah, hooked in to my cell.  When I dial it will open."

"What if they're asleep by then?  They might miss it."

"No chance!  When the skylight opens I set up one of those music sound modules to go off.  You know, like you get in a greetings card; plus all the glitter will fall out as the skylight slides back.  They'll know all right."

"Well it's almost midnight now."

"Here Babe, this was your idea after all, you dial."  Piers handed Chris his phone.  Big fingers did the walking.

"There, activated.  I wish we could see their faces right now."  Chris gave Piers a hug.  "I feel like a weight's been lifted off me Ace.  It's a good thing we've done for Danny and Finn."

"And for you too Chris, now you can stop feeling guilty.  I'm glad for you all three of you."  Piers sat down on the bed and smiled up at his partner.  "Come here you big ol' bear.  Time to wrap your Christmas present."

"Um, don't you mean unwrap?"

Piers handed Chris a small foil packet.

"Oh, I see, you did mean, er, wrap, as in . . ."

Piers lay back with his arms behind his head and a big grin on his face.  "Yes, as in a protective cover or sheath."

"RAWR!"

"ARH-WOOO!"

"Oh, hang on Babe, do you think the new neighbors will hear us?"

"Mmm, I think they'll be too busy making their own noise."

"Yeh, I wonder if they use Grrr and Woof?"

"Well Danny's ass is almost as cute as yours.  If I was Finn, I'd say Grrr!"

"I'm glad you said almost just then."

"Why?"

"Cos' if you hadn't it would have been out of bounds for a while."

"But it's not?"

"No, help yourself."

"See, that's what I like about you Ace."

"What, my generosity?"

"No, your ass!"

"Well, it is the Season of Giving."

"Then get ready to receive Ace.  Now, where's that wrapper?"

"WOOF!"

"GRRR!"

************************

Shortly after they'd gone to bed in their new home, and just as Christmas eve turned into Christmas day, Finn and Danny heard 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star' playing from somewhere above their heads.  They looked up and watched in amazement as the panel in the ceiling above their bed slowly slid back to reveal a skylight.  A small cloud of glittering foil stars fell over and around them, silver and gold.  And through the glass above, real stars winked and blinked in the inky black sky.

"Oh Dan, look, we're under the stars, just like we always wanted to be."

"It's beautiful Finney, so beautiful." Danny whispered.  He pulled Finn in tight with his strong arms.  "Making love under the stars, that's what we promised ourselves.  Now, where were we when we were so rudely interrupted last time?"

"Well, I'd got my lips here."  Finn kissed Danny full on the lips.  "And I had my right hand here." he said, stroking the back of Danny's head.

"Oh yes."  said Danny, "I remember now.  And my left hand was down here."

Hmm, a little bit lower I thought." said Finn smiling, "A bit more, lower, ahh!  yes, that was the place all right, how could I forget?"

They kissed again, a long, lingering kiss, and all the pain and frustration from the previous year melted away.

"Finney, I was going to ask you something, that night on the roof of the barracks."  Pale blue eyes gazed deeply into green.

"And what were you going to ask then Dan?"

"I was going to say - Corporal Finnbar Sean Macauley, will you do me the honor of becoming my husband?"

"Well Corporal Daniel Øyvind Svenson, I'll give you the same answer now as I would have given you then."

"Which is?"

"Yes!  Oh yes, a thousand times yes!"

And so Finn and Danny made love under the skylight, under the stars, for the first of many times.  But that first time, when they pledged themselves to each other on Christmas day, would always remain particularly special.

And way above them, in that inky black sky, a solitary star suddenly brightened.  Because just for a moment, everyone on a lonely little blue planet gave . . . and nobody took.


Epilogue:

It was about two a.m. on Christmas morning when the secure phone in the Deuce of Hearts rang . . . and rang.  Piers cursed silently as he switched the light on; but Chris was less restrained.  "What the fu––! it's Christmas, for Christ's sake!"

"Ha, there's irony for you, Babe."

Chris rolled his sleepy eyes  "That's easy for you to say, I'm the one who has to answer the damned thing.  And I did say religion was handy for swearing."  Chris got up and padded out of the room grumbling, whilst Piers wrapped the bed quilt around himself to keep warm.

Chris returned about five minutes later.  Unusually, Piers couldn't read his expression.  "What's up Chris?  Who was it?"

"It's Dee on the phone . . . with our Christmas presents.  He's just finished talking with the incoming Administration.  General James Mattis, nominated as Secretary of Defense, and Nikki Hayley, proposed as our new UN Ambassador to name but two.  I guess there's been a lot of late night politicking in Washington recently.  Do you want the good news or the bad news first Ace?"

Piers sat up.  "Good news first, please, Babe."

"As from January 20th, 2017, when the President-elect takes office, I am the new Director of Operations, BSAA North America Branch."

Piers beamed.  "Oh congratulations, Babe, you deserve it . . ."  But Chris continued to look serious.   ". . . Er, and the bad news?"

"You're going to be my new boss.  The youngest ever Director BSAA NAB."  Chris' face broke into a grin.

"Wha--!  You’re joking."

"Nope and I can't think of anyone I'd rather work for."  He bent down and pulled Piers into a tight embrace.  "Now come on, shake a leg, Dee wants to talk to you.  Oh, and there are a couple more presents too.  A second Medal of Honor for both of us.  Courtesy of Congress and the departing President; something about that last trip to Edonia."

Piers got up and put his arms around his partner.  "First things first.  Merry Christmas, Babe."  The hazel eyes shone bright and the full lips parted.

Chris returned the kiss with interest.  "Merry Christmas Boss.  Ho, ho, ho!"


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails