C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Midterm Election Results: The Blue Ripple

Well, the American populace had its say on Trumpism last night, and spoke out of both sides of its mouth.  The Democratic Party hoped a big "blue wave" of fired-up voters would give them control of Congress; but they gained a majority only in the House of Representatives, the Republicans still controlling the Senate.  Well, that's disappointing, but it's a start.  At least now there is a power of resistance to the Trumpocracy in one of the three branches of government.

I found some videos that concisely summarize the election returns and results, in case my readers (like me) weren't glued to the TV set last night.  But whether you are interested in those or not, do take a moment to watch this rather heartwarming story of civility in a political race in Vermont - introduced by the delightful and ever-pleasant Jane Pauley, whom it's so nice to see again on screen.  (Where has she been all these years?  And why didn't NBC hang on to her, the fools?)



Well, that was a sweet story.  Maybe there' s still some hope left for this country.  Let us pray.

Wikipedia has the breakdown on all of last night's races here, if you want to burrow down into the numbers (though not all returns are in yet).  You could also take a look at the BBC's informative charts and maps if you care to.  If not, here's a quick summary of last night's election coverage from the Wall Street Journal:




The New York Times gives brief glimpses of some notable Democratic winners, including Jared Polis, the first gay governor of Colorado, or of any state, hooray:




Who knows what the percentage of red and blue will be, come the next election?  The NYT guesses at the future of American politics in this prognostication:




7 comments:

Frank said...

People like Matt Barber and Tony Perkins think yesterday's results were disastrous. But we think it was just a so-so win. Not the wave we were hoping for.

As for the Vermont folks...well that is Vermont. Nice.

Russ Manley said...

No it wasn't a big blue wave, and for the life of me I don't understand why. But we must be grateful at least for a majority in the House, which is real power. I hope it will be used for good, and with good sense.

Now if only the rest of the country could just settle down and play nice like they do in Vermont . . . .

Michael said...

I loved the piece about civility in Vermont. Thanks so much for posting it. And yes, I love Jane Pauley too!

Russ Manley said...

Glad you like. Jane has been my secret crush from way back. Always so sweet and nice - a lovely person.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

No, it was not a Blue Wave but it did make ripples. Like Beto winning so many votes in such a red state. Also, can you imagine the Trumpanzees up in arms because both the Senate and the House were out of their reach? There would have been Tiki torches in the streets. (not that it would happen any time soon, the Senate is rigged in their favor, they've seen to it).

Davis said...

I know I'm supposed to be grateful about the House - but the Senate is worse than before - anyone can be steamrolled through... God preserve the remaining decent folk in the SCOTUS!

Russ Manley said...

Especially RBG!

Related Posts with Thumbnails