C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, July 16, 2017

Sunday Drive: A Summer Place

So last night I finally saw A Summer Place, nearly sixty years late.  I've heard the lovely Max Steiner theme all my life, of course, but somehow never saw the show.

I wish I could say it was worth waiting for, but no.  Just crazed, convoluted melodrama that goes on waaaay too long, until you don't know whether to laugh or cry or jump out the window.  But Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue are both young and pretty, and rich dad Richard Egan is a sight for sore eyes.

Here's a rare clip of Percy Faith conducting his orchestra in a performance of the 1960 number-one hit.  It sounds just like summer should feel when you are young and carefree and full of sunny dreams.  I'm on the shady side of life now, but I can still remember.  Enjoy.




1 comment:

Davis said...

The music brings back wonderful misty eyed memories of our summers at the beach. I was at a very impressionable age and the atmosphere is almost alive to me when I hear it. Yes they were at the height of their young loveliness. Troy Donahue's own struggles and tragic end yet to come.

Related Posts with Thumbnails