C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Libertarian Cock-Block


As you may have heard, the Libertarian Party has launched an appeal to gay voters, the "battered spouses" of the Democratic Party.  If this sounds even remotely like a good idea to you, your Head Trucker urges you to read Joe Jervis's post on the subject.  Excerpt:
But just for the sake of argument, let's tick off the official Libertarian agenda as posted on their website:

1. Abolish welfare.
2. Abolish Social Security.
3. Abolish the IRS.
4. Abolish the FDA.
5. Allow insurance companies to exclude any disease.
6. Dismantle the public school system.
7. Allow machine gun ownership and open-carry anywhere.
8. End foreign aid to starving nations.
9. Sell all national parks to private groups.

To be fair, the Libertarian Party does have reasonable positions on immigration reform, privacy, and the war on drugs. But the essential takeaway from reading their platform is this: "If you are impoverished, starving, desperately ill, unemployed, or uneducated...tough shit. Don't come to the government with your lazy unpatriotic hand out. Every American for himself. Get the fuck out of here."
Joe also posted links to Libertarian Party documents for each of the nine positions stated above. He also notes the fact that Libertarians generally run on the Republican ticket, not their own.

What I Say:  Ever since I first heard of Libertarians thirty years ago in college, your Head Trucker has always thought they were living in a dream world; a few good ideas, but a very loose grasp on reality. Look before you leap.

The Dems always seem to muff the ball when they get possession of it. Why that is, I have no freaking clue. But there's no real alternative in this country at this time.

And I don't know what would be. I don't know what the answer is to anything any more. I know too much about the course of history and the trend of human nature to feel any optimism at this point.  Like gripping the railing on a ship that is slowly, slowly, slowly sinking.  Meanwhile, the lights are blazing, the band is playing, and there's a big, noisy party in the main saloon.

Maybe that's just an old man's gloom and doom.  Maybe.  But I certainly wouldn't be painting a rainbow flag on the roof of the house, boys. Like Jimmy Carter, Obama is a good man, a decent man, even a fine man - considered as an individual, not as a leader. But if he is another one-term wonder, well fellas, just imagine what the regime that follows him will be like, starting just two years from now.

And you thought those long, dark years under W. were bad. 

BTW - does anyone besides me find it totally creepy that they have Liberty's face blacked out in their current party logo?  Compare with the old one, which I found at Libertapedia:

2 comments:

Tuesday's Cowboy said...

Again, not surprised by your insight and wisdom. Wish Fox News was as "Fair and Balanced" as you are. Thanks for the posts. I really enjoy them, Head Trucker.

Russ Manley said...

Glad you like, buddy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails