Sunday, August 16, 2026

Sunday Drive: Luke Evans Sings

Luke Evans 2018 (cropped)
Luke Evans in 2018, from Wikipedia

We never heard of this studly Welshman until YouTube sent some of his videos my way the other day, and wow!  What a great voice, in a great package.  Woof!  I guess it shows just how out of the loop we are here, as he has had an extensive career on stage and screen as a big, butch action-hero type.  I wonder how many of my truckbuddies have heard of him before now - and why you didn't tell me!

Here are three songs that showcase his powerful vocal range.  I hope you all will scroll down further to listen to his deeply moving coming-out story, which many of us can relate to.  BTW, your superannuated Head Trucker can remember when all of these songs were Top 40 hits, as noted.


If I Could Turn Back Time  (Cher, 1989):


The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Roberta Flack, 1972):


It's Not Unusual  (Tom Jones, 1965):


And here is Luke in 2024, discussing his upbringing in a homophobic church in a Welsh village, and reading a poignant selection from his memoirs.  You know, I think all gay boys tell the same story of growing up a lonely, miserable outcast, not knowing what to do or whom to ask for help.  Somehow, those who survive manage to achieve a reasonably good adult life.  Some do better than good - Luke is one of those who has hit the jackpot in life.  God bless him.


-----

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please note: this is not a public forum but my personal blog, which nobody is forced to read. You don't like what I write, go find a blog you do like; there are millions of others to choose from. Or write your own.

Polite disagreement is one thing, but rudeness will be deleted without hesitation.